Connie
It's been a whirlwind of activity around here. It seems I've lined up enough projects to take me clear into fall ~ squeee!

Last year we created a large fire pit on our property. It's diameter is 5 feet and was made with good old fashion field stone and gravel with the flashy name of Purple Passion.


We spent the season roasting marshmallows and hot dogs around many a bonfire with nylon folding chairs. While they are reasonably more comfortable than benches, large rocks and logs it was decided we needed better digs this year.

Enter our incredibly talented neighbor. His father was a cabinet maker and taught his son all he knew. When he passed away his cabinet workshop was passed on to his son. Our neighbor is a teacher by day and master craftsman by night. He's spent many seasons helping his extended family remodel their kitchens with his cabinet skills, made dressers, bed sets and dining room tables that would make your jaw drop.

After a night around our bonfire I shyly asked if he would be willing to create Adirondack chairs for around the fire pit. I'm not sure if his butt was sore from sitting in our makeshift chairs or if he felt sorry for the fire pit but it took less than 3 seconds to accept the request.

This winter we had many phone conversations and exchanges of photos. Discussions about flat backs or contoured backs, how far they should recline and many trial sittings. All the research and trial fittings paid off a couple of weeks ago when he called me to have me pick up my 4 new chairs.

I spent a week painstakingly weatherproofing them with 3 coats of deck stain and weatherproofing. Here's a peak of my work on two of the chairs (when this photo was taken the last set of chairs were still drying and were not placed near the fire pit due to the afternoon rain storm).

Last week it was finally warm enough to host our first bonfire of the spring season. Let's just say all in attendance played musical chairs all night just to get a chance to try them all out. I think I need to request 4 more. What do you think?
3 Responses
  1. Robin Says:

    Oooh! That looks really nice! What a nice place to relax and enjoy some good company.


  2. What a wonderful story about your neighbor and what a lovely outdoor living area you've created! I think I should have married a carpenter or handyman...


  3. How wonderful! I think you're wise to get more chairs--it's rare to enjoy a fire pit by yourselves--it's such a communal experience. And yours has turned out nice!


Post a Comment